This dairy-free, gluten-free key lime pie has a delicious no-bake gluten-free graham cracker crust and creamy key lime pie filling. It is easy to make with healthy, plant-based ingredients and a topping of coconut whipped cream adds the perfect touch! It has the perfect balance of sweetness and tart key lime flavor.
This key lime pie is the perfect spring and summer dessert to share with friends and family. It has such a creamy, rich texture that melts in your mouth! If you're a fan of making pies, I encourage you to try this vegan sweet potato pie, which is equally delicious and great in the fall and winter months.
Why You'll Love This Pie
- Gluten free graham cracker crust - The pie crust is very easy to make with gluten-free graham crackers and vegan butter. It is a no-bake graham cracker crust which is super simple and saves time.
- Dairy free key lime pie filling - The pie filling is made from canned coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest, and pure maple syrup. It is creamy, thick, and luscious!
- Simple and easy to make - With a no-bake pie crust and filling that comes together in just a few minutes, the key lime pie is very easy to make.
- No added sugars - Unlike store-bought pies with added sugars and preservatives, this key lime pie is made with plant-based ingredients. It is sweetened with pure maple syrup which makes it refined sugar free.
Does key lime pie contain gluten?
Some key lime pies are naturally gluten-free, but if you are buying a store-bought pie, it's best to double-check the ingredients to ensure the crust does not contain gluten. Store-bought pie crusts are often made with all-purpose or whole wheat flour, so be cautious of this. Generally, key lime pie filling naturally does not contain gluten.
Since this gluten-free key lime pie recipe uses gluten-free graham crackers for the crust, it does not contain gluten and is safe to enjoy if you have gluten allergies. It is also dairy-free and vegan!
You only need 7 ingredients to make the key lime pie. It is so easy and simple!
Here is some helpful information about the ingredients, with recommendations for substitutions you can make if necessary:
- Gluten-free graham crackers - There are a few gluten-free graham cracker options on the market. I recommend trying these gluten-free honeygrahams from Schar, but any gluten-free graham crackers should work. Be sure to ground them into a fine powder when making the crust.
- Melted vegan butter - This is a dairy-free key lime pie, so vegan butter is used in the crust. I use Earth Balance and Melt vegan butter the most. Either option should have good results. Make sure to melt it before mixing the crust.
- Fresh lime zest - Don't omit the lime zest! It adds such a strong, delicious lime flavor to the filling (even more than the lime juice).
- Lime juice - Freshly squeezed key lime juice is the best option for the filling, but you can use bottled lime juice if it is all you have on hand. It will still taste delicious!
- Canned coconut milk - Be sure to use canned coconut milk, not the drinking kind of coconut milk you find in the fridge. Full fat coconut milk is necessary for this recipe.
- Pure maple syrup - Maple syrup is a natural sweetener in the pie filling instead of using processed granulated sugar. You can use honey instead, if you aren't vegan.
- Cornstarch - This is necessary to thicken the key lime pie filling.
How to Make Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
The no-bake gluten-free graham cracker pie crust is made with just two ingredients: graham crackers and vegan butter! Here are instructions for making the pie crust:
STEP 1: Crush graham crackers. In a food processor or powerful blender, crush the gluten-free graham crackers into a fine, dusty powder. You want to avoid having big graham cracker chunks. Fine crumbs hold together the best.
STEP 2: Melt vegan butter. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the vegan butter.
STEP 3: Combine crumbs and butter. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the gluten-free graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter until a sticky mixture forms. It should be "moldable" and damp.
STEP 4: Transfer to pie pan. Spray an 8 or 9-inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Then, transfer the pie crust mixture to the pan. Use your fingers or the back of a spoon to smooth the crust evenly around the pan and up the edges.
STEP 5: Chill. Set the crust in the fridge for 10 minutes while you make the key lime pie filling. This is a no-bake graham cracker crust, which means you don't have to "set it" in the oven like other pie crust recipes might require. The fridge is fine!
How to Make Dairy Free Key Lime Pie Filling
The gluten-free, dairy-free key lime pie filling comes together on the stove in just a few minutes. Here are instructions for making the pie filling:
STEP 1: Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Over medium-high heat, warm the coconut milk, maple syrup, lime juice, lime zest, and cornstarch.
STEP 2: Reduce heat and stir. Once the mixture is heated, but not yet boiling, reduce to low heat and stir the mixture continuously for 4-8 minutes until it thickens. It should be smooth, thick, and creamy.
STEP 3: Remove from heat. Then, pour the thickened key lime pie filling into the prepared pie crust. Use a spoon to evenly spread the filling around the pie pan.
STEP 4: Chill the pie. The gluten-free key lime pie needs to set up for at least 5 hours in the fridge before serving. It's best to chill it overnight, but 5+ hours is fine.
Once chilled, consider topping the pie with dairy-free coconut whipped cream and fresh lime zest. You can garnish the pie with a few fresh lime slices, too.
Expert Baking Tips
- Chill pie completely - It's very important to let the key lime pie set up completely in the fridge before you slice and serve the pie. Be sure it has time to chill for at least 5 hours, for best results.
- Don't let the filling boil - When heating the pie filling ingredients on the stove, don't let the mixture boil. You want it to become warm, but not boiling.
- Finely crush graham crackers - Big chunks of graham crackers don't lend themselves to making a seal-proof pie crust. Be sure to finely ground the gluten-free graham crackers in a food processor or blender so it is easy to mix with the melted vegan butter and form a moldable pie crust.
- Use full fat coconut milk - You need to use canned coconut milk with fat in order for the key lime pie filling to thicken properly and set up.
Love baking with citrus? You might love making these gluten-free and vegan lemon cookies sometime, too!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are approximately 347 calories in one slice of key lime pie if you slice the pie into 8 slices. Adding coconut whipped cream on top may add a few extra calories, but not much.
This is a gluten-free, dairy-free key lime pie recipe. The filling is made with coconut milk which is naturally dairy-free. It is naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup, which makes the filling refined sugar-free too!
You can use fresh lime juice or bottled lime juice in the key lime pie. If you don't have key lime juice, you can substitute it with a mixture of half lemon juice and half lime juice, but the flavor may be different.
Yes! There is no baking required to make this pie. The graham cracker crust is a no-bake pie crust made from gluten-free graham crackers and vegan butter.
Yes, you can freeze key lime pie in an airtight container or sealed freezer bag for up to 30 days. Let it thaw before serving.
Storing And Freezing
You can cover the pie pan with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for 3-5 days. Alternatively, you may cut the pie and store the leftover slices in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
You can freeze key lime pie in an airtight container for up to 30 days. Coconut whipped cream may not freeze and thaw well, so it's best to freeze key lime pie without any toppings.
How To Thaw A Frozen Pie
Remove the frozen pie from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter for 1-3 hours, until soft enough to eat. I do not recommend trying to thaw a frozen pie quickly by heating it in the microwave or oven, as this could cause the key lime pie filling to become sticky and melt.
More Gluten-Free Recipes
Did you make this gluten-free key lime pie? Please leave a rating and review below. I would love to know how you liked it! If you post a photo on Instagram and tag me, I would love to share it. For more recipe inspiration, follow me on Pinterest and join my email list to stay updated with new content.
Gluten-Free Key Lime Pie
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 9-inch pie pan or 8-inch pie pan
- 1 Food processor or high-power blender
- 1 Medium Saucepan
Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free graham crackers
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
Dairy-Free Key Lime Pie Filling
- 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup key lime juice
- 3 teaspoons lime zest
- 5 tablespoons corn starch
- coconut whipped cream
- fresh lime zest
- fresh lime slices
Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Crust
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, crush gluten-free graham crackers into a fine, dusty powder. Finer is better for a stable pie crust.1 ¾ cups gluten-free graham crackers
- In a small bowl, melt the vegan butter in the microwave. Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and stir until a sticky, moldable crust forms.½ cup melted vegan butter, 1 ¾ cups gluten-free graham crackers
- Transfer the pie crust mixture into the greased pie pan, using your fingers or a spoon to smooth the crust evenly up and around the edges of the pan. Let chill in the fridge for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
Dairy-Free Key Lime Pie Filling
- Add all filling ingredients to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once warm, reduce to low heat and cook for 4-8 minutes, stirring continuously until thickened.½ cup key lime juice, 3 teaspoons lime zest, ½ cup pure maple syrup, 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk, 5 tablespoons corn starch
- Once the mixture thickens, remove from the heat and pour the pie filling into the crust. Smooth the filling evenly to cover the entire crust.
- Refrigerate the key lime pie for at least 5 hours, or overnight, to thicken and set up completely before serving.
- If desired, top the chilled pie with coconut whipped cream, fresh lime zest, and fresh lime slices. Slice and serve.coconut whipped cream, fresh lime zest
I was just looking for a gluten free pie recipe for National Pi Day! This is perfect for St. Patrick’s day coming up too. The filling is so delicious and it really is so easy to make. We loved it with the no bake crust!!
Giangi Townsend says
Love everything about this Key Lime Pie, which happens to be one of my favorite desserts.
The filling sounds amazing and I cannot wait to make it.
Thank you for sharing
i like how this key lime pie isn't too sweet compared to other recipes.
Fantastic dairy and gluten free pie recipe!
Emily Flint says
Yes Please! This is my new favorite pie!! Delicious with no gluten needed.