These healthy cinnamon roll overnight oats are perfectly sweet, delicious, and so easy to make! With a cinnamon-sugar swirl in every serving, they taste just like cinnamon buns. Made with yogurt and almond milk, this recipe is vegan, dairy-free, and naturally gluten-free for both kids and adults to enjoy.
I think these are the best cinnamon roll overnight oats with their delicious cinnamon-sugar swirl. Every spoonful satisfies your taste buds while filling you up and providing nutrients at the same time! They are great to make ahead and enjoy throughout the week for on-the-go breakfast, school lunch, or as a healthy after-dinner dessert.
Why You'll Love These Oats
- Healthy - With only 8 simple ingredients, these oats are full of fiber, protein, and complex carbohydrates to give you energy and keep you full.
- Vegan & Gluten-Free - Made with almond milk and dairy-free yogurt, these oats are vegan and naturally gluten-free.
- Easy - These oats are easy to make in just one bowl. The mixture comes together in minutes, and they are great for meal prep!
- Cinnamon Bun Flavor - Each serving of oats is swirled with cinnamon sugar that makes them taste just like a fresh cinnamon bun!
These oats are made with simple and healthy ingredients. Here are some helpful ingredient notes for the best success. For all ingredient information, remember to see the recipe card at the end of the post!
- Rolled Oats - Rolled oats are better than quick oats for the best texture and flavor. Avoid steel-cut oats; they will not work in the recipe without hours of soaking.
- Chia Seeds - Chia seeds add fiber and healthy Omega 3's to the oatmeal. The seeds expand in liquid and help the oats thicken as they chill.
- Coconut Sugar - Coconut sugar is an unrefined, vegan-friendly sugar, but you can use brown sugar instead. Whatever you have on hand and enjoy most.
- Cinnamon - Cinnamon gives these oats their irresistible cinnamon roll flavor.
- Salt - Balances the flavors and prevents the oats from being overly sweet.
- Yogurt - Dairy-free yogurt or any Greek yogurt works well. Vanilla flavor is best, or you can use plain if you prefer a more mild flavor.
- Almond Milk - Use unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk. Cow's milk also works, if you prefer.
- Vanilla - A splash of vanilla extract enhances the cinnamon roll flavor nicely!
You only need one bowl and a few minutes to mix these oats together. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to make the best cinnamon roll overnight oats:
STEP 1: Add the rolled oats, chia seeds, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a large mixing bowl.
STEP 2: Stir all the dry ingredients together until they are evenly combined.
STEP 3: Next, add the yogurt, almond milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl of dry ingredients.
STEP 4: Stir the mixture thoroughly until evenly combined. It will appear to be thin and "runny," but the oats will thicken as they chill in the fridge.
STEP 5: Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight for best results.
STEP 6: Once the oats have thickened, transfer them to small serving-size jars or containers. For the best cinnamon roll flavor, layer the oats in the jars with extra brown sugar and cinnamon. This is optional but gives the oats that beautiful swirl. Enjoy!
Expert Recipe Tips
- Chill time - Chilling the oats overnight allows them to develop the best flavor and thickest consistency, but they can be enjoyed after 4-6 hours.
- Consistency - After the oats chill, stir in a splash of milk if they are too thick. If they are too thin, stir in extra rolled oats until you achieve the right consistency.
- Mix-ins - Cinnamon roll oatmeal is delicious, and chopped walnuts or pecans make a great addition. Mix in your favorite toppings for even more flavor!
- Extra cinnamon - Top the oats with an extra dash of cinnamon before serving.
Easy Oatmeal Variations
You can customize overnight oats exactly to your liking! Want high protein? Low calorie? 1 serving, or 6? Here are some easy variations to the recipe:
- High Protein - Mix in a scoop of protein powder (cinnamon or vanilla flavor is delicious), or use high-protein yogurt.
- Without Yogurt - You can make overnight oats without yogurt by replacing the yogurt with an extra splash of almond milk or cream cheese (see below).
- Low Calorie - Reduce the amount of sugar or swap the yogurt for extra almond milk if you want to make these oats a little lighter.
- With Cream Cheese - Replace the yogurt with ⅓ cup of plain cream cheese for a tangy and delicious flavor!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can freeze overnight oats in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. For best results, do not freeze the oats with any additional toppings, like fruit. Toppings are best added right before serving the oats.
Overnight rolled oats are a great healthy option! Rolled oats are high in fiber and complex carbohydrates, which give you energy and keep you full throughout the day. Plus, cinnamon is full of antioxidants that are anti-inflammatory, making these cinnamon roll overnight oats healthy.
Yes, you can blend overnight oats to make an oat smoothie or a super creamy consistency, but I think overnight oats are best enjoyed thick, without blending.
Storing & Freezing
Store the overnight oats in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-6 days. Keeping the oats in individual serving jars with lids makes them convenient and easy to enjoy throughout the week.
For longer storage, you can freeze overnight oats for up to 3 months. Choose a freezer-safe airtight container and make sure the oats do not have any added toppings like fruit, which would impact the freezing quality. Thaw the oats in the fridge overnight, or thaw at room temperature if you plan to enjoy them immediately.
More Easy Oatmeal Recipes
Did you make these healthy cinnamon roll overnight oats with yogurt? Please leave a review and star rating below. This really supports my blog and helps other readers! If you post a photo of your oats on Instagram and tag me, I would love to share it. To stay updated with the newest recipes, follow me on Pinterest and join my email list. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Roll Overnight Oats
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1-3 Jars or Airtight Containers for Storing
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dairy-free vanilla yogurt *see notes
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the oats, chia seeds, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir all the dry ingredients together until evenly combined.1 ½ cup rolled oats, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add the yogurt, almond milk, and vanilla to the bowl. Mix thoroughly until fully combined. The mixture will seem thin now, but don't worry.½ cup dairy-free vanilla yogurt, 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results. The oats will thicken as they chill. If the oats are too thick after chilling, stir in an extra splash of milk.
- Once chilled, transfer the oats to individual serving jars, adding extra sugar and cinnamon between layers of oats if desired. This gives the oats the beautiful cinnamon swirl in the jars.
- Enjoy the oats immediately and store leftovers in the fridge for 4-6 days. They can be enjoyed cold or warm.