These thick and chewy M&M Rice Krispie Treats are super easy to make with just 5 ingredients. They are homemade, no-bake treats that can be adapted to suit gluten-free and vegan diets with simple ingredient swaps. I have to believe these are the best rice krispie treats with M&Ms, and kids love them too!
You can serve these rice crispy treats for parties, holidays, or other special events. You can't beat an easy no-bake recipe that combines chewy, crunchy, and chocolatey goodness in every bite!
Why You'll Love These Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 ingredients - This recipe is easy to make with only 5 pantry-staple ingredients.
- Gooey & chewy - The rice krispie treats are thick, gooey, chewy, and delicious with pockets of sweet chocolate M&Ms.
- Easy to adapt - You can vary these rice krispie treats with a few ingredient swaps or additions to make them dietary-friendly or festive for a holiday.
- No-bake treats - Homemade M and M rice krispie treats require no baking time or technical skills. They are quick and easy to make with kids, too!
Can you believe you only need 5 ingredients to make these easy treats? Here are some helpful ingredient notes. For all ingredient information, make sure to check out the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Butter - Salted butter highlights a sweet and salty flavor in these treats, which pairs perfectly with the chocolate M&Ms. You could use unsalted butter too.
- Mini Marshmallows - You’ll find this ingredient in any rice krispie treat recipe. Make sure they are fresh so they melt well for a creamy consistency.
- Pure Vanilla Extract - This adds extra flavor to the treats.
- Crispy Rice Cereal - The rice cereal is the key ingredient in this recipe. I recommend Aldi Crispy Rice which is gluten-free!
- Chocolate M&Ms - I recommend milk chocolate M&Ms, but most varieties work.
This no-bake recipe comes together quickly and easily. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to make rice crispy treats with m&ms:
STEP 1: Add the cereal and 1 cup of the mini marshmallows into a large mixing bowl greased with non-stick spray. Set it aside for later.
STEP 2: Slice the butter into chunks and add them to a large pot over low heat. Stir until the butter is fully melted.
STEP 3: Add the remaining marshmallows to the pot with the butter and stir over low-medium heat until melted into a creamy mixture. Then, stir in the vanilla extract and remove from the heat.
STEP 4: Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the bowl of cereal. Fold the ingredients together with a rubber spatula or large spoon. If it is too sticky and hard to mix, you can use your greased hands.
STEP 5: Next, fold in the chocolate M&Ms. The mixture will be quite thick and sticky, but mix until the M&Ms are spread evenly throughout.
STEP 6: Transfer the mixture to a greased baking pan and smooth it gently into the edges and corners. Don’t press too firmly, or you will make the treats too dense and hard.
Lastly, press extra M&Ms on top of the rice krispie treats for a pretty finish and extra chocolate crunch. Cut the treats into even squares, and enjoy!
Expert Recipe Tips
- Fresh marshmallows are important! They taste and melt better than stale and dry marshmallows sitting in your pantry for a while. Don't use old marshmallows!
- Melting the marshmallows over low heat is key to preventing burning.
- A large mixing bowl will make it easier to combine the marshmallow mixture with the cereal and prevent you from making a mess.
- You can chill the M&Ms in the freezer for 30 minutes before folding them into the rice krispie mixture to prevent the chocolate candy from melting.
Easy Rice Crispy Treat Variations
Want to make vegan or gluten-free rice krispie treats with M&Ms? Craving an extra dose of chocolatey flavor? Here are some easy recipe variations you can try:
- Chocolate Drizzle - Add a chocolate drizzle on top of these treats and let it set for 1-2 hours. You can melt 1 ¼ cup chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Holiday Twist - Make holiday rice crispy treats by using M&Ms Holiday Candy. This is perfect for Christmas, Valentine's Day, 4th of July, and more events.
- Mini Size - Make mini M&M rice krispie treats by using mini M&Ms in the recipe and cutting them into smaller squares.
- Vegan - Use vegan marshmallows, butter, and vegan rice cereal.
- Gluten-Free - Use gluten-free rice cereal like the Aldi brand (Crispy Rice).
These pumpkin protein balls are another easy and delicious no-bake treat to try next.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you can use a 9x9-inch or 9x13-inch baking pan for thinner rice crispy treats.
There are about 130 calories in one rice crispy treat when cut into 16 squares.
Nope! Don't refrigerate homemade rice krispie treats, as they will turn hard and be difficult to eat. They are best stored at room temperature.
No. Marshmallows contain gelatin, while marshmallow fluff doesn’t. I don't recommend using marshmallow fluff in place of marshmallows for these treats.
Not all brands of rice cereal are gluten-free. Use a gluten-free brand, such as Aldi’s Crispy Rice Cereal, and these treats are gluten-free.
Most M&M's are gluten-free, with the exception of certain varieties like the pretzel and crispy M&Ms, which contain wheat. Milk Chocolate M&Ms, White Chocolate M&Ms, and Dark Chocolate M&Ms are considered gluten-free.
Storing & Freezing
Store leftover rice krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days, or store them longer in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw frozen rice krispie squares at room temperature for 1-2 hours before serving.
I recommend lining the storage container with parchment paper to prevent sticking. If you stack the rice crispy treats, place parchment paper between each layer so they don't freeze together.
More No-Bake Recipes
Did you make these homemade M&M rice krispie treats? Please leave a star rating and review below. This really supports my blog and helps other readers. Share your photos on Instagram and TikTok and remember to tag me! To stay updated with the newest recipes, please join my email list and follow me on Pinterest. Enjoy!
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 8x8-inch Baking Pan or 9x3-inch pan for thinner treats
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Large Cooking Pot
- 4 tablespoons salted butter or vegan butter*
- 6 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 5 cups Crispy Rice Cereal (Aldi brand is gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate M&Ms plus extra for topping
- Start by spraying an 8x8-inch square baking pan thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray. Then, grease a large mixing bowl and large cooking pot.
- Add the crispy rice cereal and one cup of mini marshmallows to the greased mixing bowl, and set aside.5 cups Crispy Rice Cereal, 6 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- Slice the butter into chunks and add it to the cooking pot over low heat, stirring consistently until the butter is melted.4 tablespoons salted butter
- Add the remaining 5 cups of mini marshmallows to the cooking pot. Stir them with the butter on low-medium heat until the marshmallows are completely dissolved and a creamy mixture forms. Be careful the heat is not too high, or you can burn the marshmallows and get a sticky mess.6 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- Stir the vanilla extract into the creamy marshmallow mixture until evenly combined. Then, remove from the heat.1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the rice cereal in the separate mixing bowl. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold the ingredients together. If it is too sticky and hard to mix, you can use your hands - just grease them first.
- Gently fold in the chocolate M&Ms until they are evenly incorporated.1 cup milk chocolate M&Ms
- Transfer the mixture into the greased baking pan and press it gently into the edges and corners of the pan. Be careful not to press too firmly, or the rice crispy treats can become hard and tough instead of gooey and chewy.
- Press additional M&Ms into the top of the rice krispie treats if desired. Cut into squares and enjoy!