These easy 3 ingredient pumpkin muffins are super soft, moist, and fluffy. Made with spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, and dark chocolate chips, every bite is full of incredible pumpkin spice flavor for the autumn season. Your family and friends are sure to love this delicious fall muffin recipe!
So many of us enjoy fall baking, but we don't always have time to make elaborate recipes. These pumpkin muffins with three ingredients take all the fuss out of baking! They are ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes. No mixer is required! They are the BEST pumpkin muffins and anyone who loves pumpkin spice flavor will enjoy them.
If you love pumpkin season as much as I do, you'll also love this vegan pumpkin banana bread and these gluten-free pumpkin cookies. This homemade pumpkin spice latte pairs perfectly with a pumpkin muffin for breakfast!
Why You'll Love These Muffins
- Easy to make - These muffins with cake mix have only 3 ingredients and take less than 30 minutes to make.
- Pumpkin spice flavor - Pure pumpkin puree gives this recipe plenty of pumpkin spice flavor for the fall season.
- Soft & fluffy - Each muffin is tall, soft, and fluffy with a super moist, tender texture that makes it hard to stop eating them!
- No oil or dairy - The recipe is free from oil, dairy, and eggs, making these pumpkin muffins healthy and still very delicious.
Making pumpkin muffins with cake mix is incredibly easy. You only need 3 simple ingredients. Be sure to see the recipe card at the end for all ingredient information.
- Spice cake mix - Use a 15.25-ounce box of cake mix. Box mix replaces the flour, sugar, spices, and baking powder. This allows the recipe to have only 3 ingredients.
- Pumpkin puree - Make sure to use 100% pure pumpkin puree. You can use Libby's canned pumpkin puree or homemade pumpkin puree with no added sugar.
- Chocolate chips - Dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips are best, but milk chocolate or butterscotch chips are other good options. I use dairy-free chocolate.
- Water - Adding water gives the muffin batter the perfect consistency. You can use milk instead for a thicker, fluffier muffin.
You only need one bowl and no mixer to make this recipe. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to make 3-ingredient pumpkin muffins with spice cake mix:
STEP 1: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, pumpkin puree, and water until a smooth batter forms.
STEP 2: Gently fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the batter. Be careful not to over-mix!
STEP 3: Use a spoon or large cookie scoop to transfer the batter into a muffin pan with liners. They will be quite full.
STEP 4: Add extra chocolate chips on top of the muffin batter. Bake the pumpkin muffins at 350℉ or 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
TIP: Let the muffins cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely. If you like a sweeter muffin, consider topping the cooled muffins with a spread of carrot cake frosting.
Expert Muffin Baking Tips
- Flour - Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled in the measuring cup. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, it will compact it and can lead to dry muffins.
- Mixing - It is easy to over-mix muffin batter and create dense, gummy muffins. Stop mixing as soon as the ingredients are combined for fluffy muffins.
- Fluffy - For extra tall muffins, bake at 425℉ for the first 5 minutes. This blast of heat will force the muffins to rise up rapidly, then turn the oven down to 350℉.
- Toppings - If chocolate chips aren't enough, add some chopped walnuts or a cinnamon streusel topping for even more flavor.
Easy Recipe Variations
- With applesauce - If you don't have canned pumpkin puree, you can substitute unsweetened applesauce instead.
- With cinnamon chips - Add some crunch to the muffins by mixing cinnamon chips into the batter.
- With yellow cake mix - Instead of spice cake mix, you can use vanilla cake mix and add 1-2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice.
- Mini muffins - Use a mini muffin pan for the perfect bite-size mini pumpkin muffins.
If you love how easy these muffins are, you'll also love these quick and easy no-bake pumpkin protein bites!
Frequently Asked Questions
No, I don't recommend using pumpkin pie mix because it has added sugar that will make the muffins much too sweet. Pure pumpkin puree is best.
For moist and soft muffins, do not over-mix the batter, and make sure not to over-bake the muffins. Keep an eye on the baking time and remove them from the oven when a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Yes, you can! Use mini muffin liners and reduce the bake time for mini muffins compared to regular-size muffins.
The cake mix is what allows the recipe to have only 3 ingredients. You can try these pumpkin protein muffins for a pumpkin muffin recipe without cake mix.
Storage & Freezing
Store leftover pumpkin muffins in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
The muffins can be frozen for longer storage. Wrap each muffin in plastic wrap to preserve the moist texture and store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 30 days. Thaw frozen muffins at room temperature for 1-2 hours before eating.
More Easy Muffin Recipes
Did you make these easy 3-ingredient pumpkin muffins with cake mix? Please leave a star rating and review below. This really supports my blog and helps other readers! Share your muffins on Instagram or TikTok and remember to tag me! To stay updated with the newest recipes, follow me on Pinterest and join my email list. Enjoy!
Easy 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Muffin Tin
- 12 Muffin Liners
- 1 15.25 oz. box spice cake mix (see notes for gluten-free option*)
- 1 15 oz. can 100% pure pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- ¼ cup water (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet preferred)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line a muffin pan with liners. Lightly spray the liners with non-stick cooking spray for easy muffin removal later.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, and water until smooth and well combined.1 15.25 oz. box spice cake mix, 1 15 oz. can 100% pure pumpkin puree, ¼ cup water
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the batter. Be careful not to over-mix!1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Use a spoon or cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the prepared muffin liners until about ¾ of the way full. Add extra chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Bake the pumpkin muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (or with a few moist crumbs).
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container.