These healthy dairy free brownies are made with cacao powder and coconut oil which give them such a rich, fudge chocolate flavor. These brownies are so easy to make and come together in less than an hour! Add dairy-free chocolate chips on top for the best chocolate brownies.
These dairy free brownies are great all year round! They're a super easy and delicious dessert to share at parties or family gatherings or to enjoy throughout the week at home.
Dairy Free Brownies Ingredients
These are 10 ingredient brownies with healthier ingredients than traditional box-mix brownies. You can easily make a batch in just 45 minutes, they're so easy!
- white whole wheat flour: white whole wheat flour has all the nutritional benefits of whole wheat flour, but with a lighter taste.
- unsweetened cacao powder: this is what makes these brownies so chocolatey! Cacao powder (NOT cocoa powder) is packed with nutrients and antioxidants that have proven health benefits. Healthy chocolate? Yes please!
- coconut sugar: coconut sugar is an unrefined sugar that retains a lot more vitamins and minerals than traditional cane sugar.
- baking powder: baking powder is a leavening agent that helps the brownies rise in the oven.
- ground cinnamon: cinnamon helps bring out the flavors and enhance the sweetness in the brownies. Don't worry, you can't taste much cinnamon in the recipe!
- salt: salt balances the flavors and enhances the rich chocolate flavor.
- eggs: eggs provide structure and fluffiness to the brownies so they are light and moist!
- coconut oil: coconut oil adds moisture to the brownies and gives them that fudgy texture.
- vanilla extract: vanilla adds another layer of flavor to the brownies and enhances the sweetness.
- dairy-free chocolate chips: this is optional, but makes for a delicious topping to your dairy-free brownies!
How to Make Brownies
Seriously, I'm not kidding when I tell you these brownies are EASY. The batter only takes 10 minutes to mix and then they're in the oven and making your house smell AMAZING.
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray or a smear of oil.
STEP 2: Combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
STEP 3: Whisk wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and water until well combined.
STEP 4: Combine wet and dry mixtures. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together until well-combined. Make sure you stir until you don't see dry chunks left in the mixture.
STEP 5: Transfer batter to pan. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and give it a few side-to-side shakes to level the mixture.
STEP 6: Add chocolate chips. Sprinkle some dairy-free chocolate chips on top for the best chocolate flavor! You could also add walnuts, pecans, cacao nibs, or other toppings you enjoy.
STEP 7: Bake. Bake the brownies for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
TIP: For fudgy brownies, bake closer to 25-30 minutes and check the texture. If you prefer cake-like brownies, bake 35-38 minutes. Be sure to let the brownies cool completely in the pan before cutting and serving.
How to Make Brownies Without Eggs
To make vegan brownies with no eggs, you just need to make a simple change. These brownies are already dairy-free, which makes them easy to make vegan, too.
- Vegan Brownies - instead of using chicken's eggs, you can use flax eggs. Flax eggs are packed with healthy fiber and unsaturated fats! Combine 3 tablespoons ground flax seed with 9 tablespoons water. Stir, and let stand for 10 minutes to thicken. The flax eggs are necessary in the recipe to provide structure and bind the ingredients together.
If you choose to make vegan brownies with flax eggs, they might not be as fluffy, but they will still taste amazing and full of chocolate.
Variations to Homemade Brownies
You can make customizations to these dairy free brownies so they're exactly what you're looking for. The best thing about homemade brownies is the flexibility they have!
- Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies - If you love cinnamon and want to make these cinnamon chocolate brownies, add 4 tablespoons cinnamon and 1 tablespoon nutmeg. The spicy flavors will come through and compliment the rich chocolate taste!
- Brownies With Milk - These brownies are dairy-free, but you can choose to use milk in place of the water if you prefer. Feel free to use traditional chocolate chips, too, or top your chocolate brownies with ice cream!
- White Chocolate Brownies - Experiment with using white chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips for a unique white chocolate vs. dark chooclate flavor. They have dairy-free versions of almost every chocolate, which is awesome!
- Nutty Brownies - Mix your favorite chopped nuts into the brownie batter or add them on top for some extra crunch and protein. Nuts taste amazing with chocolate!
- Fudge Brownies - For a rich, moist, fudge-like texture, bake the brownies slightly less time (25-30 minutes) and check on them periodically. It's okay if a knife inserted comes out with moist crumbs, but make sure they're baked through.
- Cake-Like Brownies - For cake-like chocolate brownies, bake the brownies slightly longer (30-35 minutes) or until a knife comes out clean. Letting them cool and set up in the pan makes them especially cakey and delicious.
Choosing a Brownie Pan
This recipe calls for a 9x13" rectangular pan which results in medium-thickness brownies. However, you can bake the brownies in a 9x7" pan or possibly even an 8x8" square pan if you want extra-thick, tall brownies. The baking time may be longer in a smaller pan because of the added thickness.
I don't recommend baking the brownies in a pan larger than 9x13" unless you want very thin, sheet brownies.
Storing and Freezing Brownies
You can keep the brownies in an airtight container on the counter for 3-5 days, or place them in the fridge to keep for 7-10 days. If you want to freeze the brownies, place them in an airtight container with parchment paper between each layer of brownies so they do not stick together. Be sure let the brownies thaw a few hours on the counter before enjoying again.
These brownies are dairy-free brownies. They taste awesome!
To make brownies without eggs, you can use flax eggs in place of chicken eggs. See the section on vegan brownies above for tips!
Yes, these brownies are much healthier than store-bought brownies or box-mix brownies. They are made with healthier ingredients with greater nutritional content than your typical brownies!
Yes! These brownies do not require any butter.
There is coconut oil in this recipe, but you can use vegetable oil or canola oil in place of coconut oil if you prefer. Because these brownies are dairy-free, the oil is a necessary ingredient to help bind the brownies together.
More Recipes to Enjoy
If you made this recipe, please consider leaving a review below or tag me on Instagram to show me what you made!
For more easy and healthy recipes, check out these fan favorites:
Dairy Free Brownies
- 9x13 Pan
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips for topping
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and water until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Pour batter into the greased pan. Sprinkle dairy-free chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. For fudgy brownies, bake closer to 28-30 minutes. For cake-like brownies, bake 35-38 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan before slicing to ensure a clean cut. Enjoy!