This decadent Blueberry Chocolate Cake is moist, light, and fluffy chocolate cake smothered with rich blueberry cream cheese frosting. Made from scratch with fresh blueberries and dark chocolate, you'd never know the recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. Best of all, it's easy to make and is sure to please everyone who loves chocolate!
If you haven’t combined the flavor of sweet and tangy blueberries with rich chocolate cake you don’t know what you are missing—the perfect combination for a special treat, a birthday celebration, or just when the mood hits. Easily made ahead and stored for a few days, this cake recipe is bound to be your new go-to chocolate dessert, regardless of whether you follow a gluten-free diet or not.
Why You'll Love This Cake
- Easy to make - Even a novice baker can make this cake in a standard 9x13-inch baking pan. No expert cake skills needed!
- Gluten-free & dairy-free - This cake is a delicious, easy dessert for those following a gluten-free or dairy-free diet.
- Light and fluffy - Each bite of the chocolate cake is moist, light, and fluffy with plenty of dark chocolate flavor from cocoa.
- Blueberry frosting - The blueberry cream cheese frosting is made with fresh blueberries cooked down to a sauce on the stove. The beautiful purple color is all natural from the blueberries.
This dessert uses everyday ingredients you most likely have on hand in your pantry. For all ingredient information, be sure to see the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Granulated sugar - Granulated or coconut sugar sweetens the cake.
- Cocoa powder - Unsweetened cocoa powder gives this cake its chocolate flavor. Cacao powder works well, too. Avoid cheap cocoa like Hershey's Cocoa.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour - This makes the cake gluten-free. Choose a flour that contains xanthan gum. You can use normal all-purpose flour for a non-GF version.
- Baking soda & powder- These leavening agents help the cake to rise.
- Salt - A touch of salt enhances the flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Vegetable oil - Any mild oil works like vegetable oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.
- Eggs - Bring to room temperature 1-2 hours before baking for best results.
- Almond milk - Unsweetened almond milk is used in the cake batter, but any unsweetened dairy-free milk works well.
- Vanilla extract - Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Fresh blueberries - Fresh or frozen blueberries will work to make this frosting.
- Vegan butter- Unsalted butter at room temperature is best. Use stick butter, not a vegan butter spread. Use normal butter if you aren't dairy-free.
- Vegan cream cheese - Plain cream cheese at room temperature mixes well.
- Powdered sugar - Also known as confectioner’s sugar or icing sugar, this is what gives the frosting its fluffy texture and sweetness.
Step-by-Step Instructions: Chocolate Cake
Mixing the cake batter only takes a few minutes. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to make blueberry chocolate cake from scratch:
STEP 1: Whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, gluten-free flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
STEP 2: In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, almond milk, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
STEP 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until no big lumps remain. Don't over mix!
STEP 4: Pour the chocolate cake batter into a 9x13-inch pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
TIP: Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before adding the frosting. If you frost the cake while it is still warm, the frosting can melt and become a gooey mess. While the cake cooks, you can make the cream cheese frosting.
Step-by-Step Instructions: Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
The blueberry cream cheese icing is also very easy to make. You will cook a blueberry puree on the stove to add blueberry flavor and color to the recipe. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to make the cream cheese frosting:
STEP 1: Add the blueberries over medium heat in a small saucepan. Mash the berries so they break down to a thick paste, about 6-10 minutes. Then, remove from the heat and cool.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer or stand mixer to beat together the softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract until light, fluffy, and smooth.
STEP 3: Beat in the powdered sugar until completely combined and the frosting is thick and fluffy. Then, mix in the cooled blueberry reduction on low-medium speed.
STEP 4: Mix the frosting for 1-2 minutes until the blueberry puree is completely combined and a smooth, thick frosting forms. It should be spreadable with a knife, but not too thin or it will slide off the cake.
STEP 5: Use a knife or rubber spatula to spread the blueberry frosting in an even layer over the cooled chocolate cake. Slice the cake into squares and enjoy the decadent blueberry chocolate dessert!
Expert Baking Tips
- Room temperature ingredients - Bring eggs, butter, and cream cheese to room temperature 1-2 hours before preparing the recipe. The cake will rise more easily.
- Don't over-mix - Combine the ingredients gently and be careful not to over-mix the batter. Over-mixing results in a denser cake instead of light and fluffy.
- Baking time - Check the cake for doneness a few minutes before the recommended bake time. Insert a toothpick or knife in the center. It should come out with moist crumbs, but not wet batter.
- Measuring flour - Spoon the flour into the measuring cup and run a knife across the top to make sure you use exactly the right amount. This prevents a dry cake!
- Espresso - You can add a teaspoon of espresso powder to the chocolate cake batter to enhance the rich chocolate flavor.
Check out this gluten-free and vegan pound cake for another dietary-friendly recipe.
Easy Cake Variations
- Vegan - You can use vegan egg replacer or flax eggs to make the cake vegan. The texture may be more dense, but it will still taste great. Remember to use non-dairy milk, cream cheese, and butter.
- Loaf cake - Make the recipe as a loaf cake by pouring the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. The baking time will be longer so check for doneness at 40-50 minutes.
- Layer cake - Make it a layer cake and split the batter between two 8” round baking pans. Note the baking time will likely be a few minutes less so check for doneness around 20 minutes. Consider spreading blueberry jam filling or cream cheese frosting between the cake layers for an extra-delicious blueberry cake.
- White chocolate - If you want to make a blueberry white chocolate cake, try this Raspberry White Chocolate Bundt Cake and substitute blueberry for the raspberry. Or make your favorite vanilla cake, add white chocolate chips, and frost with this blueberry cream cheese frosting.
- Chocolate ganache - Up the chocolate flavor by making a chocolate ganache frosting instead. You can add semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips to the cake batter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Chocolate and blueberry go very well together. The sweet blueberry flavor pairs perfectly with the rich chocolate cake. Taste for yourself!
To create a light and fluffy cake, properly measure the ingredients (especially flour, so the cake isn't dry and tough). Do not over-mix the batter. Check for doneness 5 minutes before the suggested bake time to make sure you do not over-bake the cake.
Yes! You can double the chocolate cake recipe to make two cake layers. Spread blueberry jam filling or extra blueberry cream cheese frosting between the layers for a delicious chocolate cake with blueberry filling.
Yes. Be sure to properly grease the bundt cake pan to avoid sticking. The cake will need to bake for an additional 12-15 minutes in the bundt pan.
Storage & Freezing
Store leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. I think it is best enjoyed at room temperature. To freeze the cake, place it in the freezer in an airtight container for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before enjoying it again.
More Easy Cake Recipes
Did you make this blueberry chocolate cake from scratch? Please leave a star rating and review below. This really supports my blog and helps other readers! Share your homemade cake on Instagram or TikTok and remember to tag me! To stay updated with the newest recipes, follow me on Pinterest and join my email list. Enjoy!
Blueberry Chocolate Cake
- 1 9x13-inch Baking Pan with Parchment Paper
- 1 Electric Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 3 Mixing Bowls
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup dark cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- ⅔ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup salted vegan butter room temperature
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
Making the Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, gluten-free flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until evenly combined.1 ¾ cups granulated sugar, ¾ cup dark cocoa powder, 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, almond milk, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.¾ cup vegetable oil, 3 large eggs, 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk thoroughly until no lumps remain, being careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs (but not wet batter). Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Making the Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium saucepan, heat the blueberries over medium heat.⅔ cup blueberries
- Use a fork or masher to break down the blueberries into a puree, cooking for 8-10 minutes or until the blueberries have reduced to a thick jam-like paste.
- Remove the cooked blueberries from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer to beat together the softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract until smooth, light, and fluffy.1 cup salted vegan butter, 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Gradually mix in the powdered sugar until the frosting is thick and fluffy. Then, mix in the cooled blueberry sauce until evenly combined.3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Use a knife or rubber spatula to spread the blueberry frosting over the cooled chocolate cake. Cut into even slices and enjoy!