This healthy watermelon banana smoothie is super refreshing, full of fruity flavors, and perfect for the warm summer months. You only need 3 healthy ingredients to make it, and it comes together in just 5 minutes. It's so easy and it's completely vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar free.
I love making this smoothie on a hot summer day. It truly is so refreshing and delicious! Not to mention the vibrant pink color is fun, too. It tastes especially delicious when enjoyed by the pool or out in the sunshine.
Why You'll Love This Smoothie
- Easy to make - The smoothie is ready to enjoy in just 5 minutes. So easy!
- Simple ingredients - You only need 3 plant-based ingredients to make the smoothie.
- Good for weight loss - Since the smoothie is made from healthy ingredients, it is quite low in calories and therefore good for weight loss.
- Vegan & gluten-free - The smoothie is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and contains no added sugars, artificial colors, or flavors.
- Full of vitamins - This smoothie is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Calcium, among many other healthy vitamins and minerals.
- No yogurt - Unlike other smoothies, this smoothie is made without yogurt which allows the watermelon and banana flavors to truly shine.
The ingredients for this smoothie are incredibly simple and easy.
- Watermelon - Use fresh watermelon that is cut into chunks for easy blending. You may also use frozen watermelon chunks and omit the ice in the recipe.
- Banana - Fresh or frozen sliced banana is fine. Both yield good results. Frozen banana will provide a more icy texture. Just make sure you slice it first!
- Almond Milk - Unsweetened almond milk is what I use, but any unsweetened plant milk works just fine. Use unsweetened coconut milk for an even fruitier flavor.
- Ice - Blending ice into the smoothie gives it a cold, refreshing, icy texture.
How To Make A Watermelon Banana Smoothie
Making the smoothie is very easy and fast. It only takes a few seconds in a blender!
STEP 1: Add the cubed watermelon, sliced banana, almond milk, and ice to a high-speed blender.
STEP 2: Pulse all the ingredients in the blender, being careful not to crush the ice completely.
STEP 3: Then, blend the smoothie on medium-high speed until mostly smooth, but do not over blend the ice. It should maintain a slushy texture.
STEP 4: Once blended, transfer the watermelon banana smoothie to a glass for serving. Enjoy immediately.
TIP: Make sure you don't blend the smoothie too long, or you will crush the ice too much and make the smoothie too thin. Some ice chunks are good to give the smoothie an icy, slushy texture.
Expert Smoothie Tips
- Drain the watermelon juice - When you cube the watermelon, there will inevitably be some juice leftover. Don't add this into the smoothie, or it will become too thin. Drain the juice off the watermelon chunks if necessary (but do not rinse the watermelon).
- Don't over blend - If you blend the smoothie for too long, the ice becomes water. Pulse the smoothie and allow some of the ice to remain in the smoothie for the perfect icy, slushy texture.
- Adjust consistency as necessary - If the smoothie is too thick, add additional ice or almond milk. If the smoothie is too thin, add additional banana or mix in some yogurt, protein powder, or chia seeds.
While this smoothie is made with only 3 ingredients, you can get creative and mix in as many ingredients as you want! Here are some great ideas to take your smoothie to the next level:
- Nut butter - Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of creamy nut butter, like almond butter or peanut butter, for some extra protein and healthy fat.
- Protein powder - Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder (I like plant-based protein powder) for a thicker smoothie with more protein.
- Collagen powder - If you're not vegan, you can add collagen powder to your smoothie to boost the nutritional profile even more.
- Chia seeds - Chia seeds and ground flax seed can provide healthy Omega 3's and fiber to your smoothie.
- Rolled oats - For a great post-workout drink, rolled oats provide more carbohydrates to fuel your day.
- Yogurt - This watermelon banana smoothie is made without yogurt, but that doesn't mean you can't mix some yogurt in if you want a creamier drink. I like dairy-free yogurt best.
- Maple syrup - A drizzle of pure maple syrup provides a sweeter taste.
Looking for another delicious drink? Try this pumpkin spice iced latte.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a thicker smoothie, slice and freeze the fruit prior to making the smoothie. Omit the ice from the smoothie and use frozen fruit instead. Consider using less almond milk, too. This results in a thicker smoothie. You can also mix in protein powder or chia seeds to thicken the texture.
There are approximately 205 calories in one watermelon banana smoothie.
While I don't advertise any of my recipes as being for weight loss specifically, this smoothie is very healthy and fairly low in calories, making it a good option for weight loss if desired.
Yes, absolutely! Double the recipe to make two smoothies instead of one. You may want to blend the smoothie ingredients as you add them into the blender instead of trying to blend them all at once.
I recommend enjoying the smoothie immediately. However, you can store the smoothie in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days if necessary. A mason jar with a lid is perfect for storing the smoothie for later.
I do not recommend freezing the smoothie because of the high moisture content. The flavor would not be as strong and delicious after the freezing process.
More Healthy Drink Recipes
Did you make this healthy watermelon banana smoothie? Please remember to leave a star rating and review! This really supports my blog and helps other readers. Post a photo on Instagram and tag me and I would love to share what you made. To stay updated with the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest and join my email list.
Healthy Watermelon Banana Smoothie
- 1 Blender or Food Processor
- 1-2 Serving Glasses
- 2 cups fresh watermelon, cubed
- 1 medium banana, sliced can use fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup crushed ice for a thicker smoothie, use less ice
- Add the cubed watermelon, sliced banana, almond milk, and ice into a high-powered blender or food processor.2 cups fresh watermelon, cubed, 1 medium banana, sliced, ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, ½ cup crushed ice
- Blend all ingredients on medium-high speed until just combined. Do not over blend, or the ice will become water and make the smoothie too thin.
- Transfer the blended smoothie into a 16-ounce glass. Serve immediately. Enjoy!